• Instagram

Week 1

strength Train express:

fuel your bodies!

My #1 go to rule that helps me stay on track is to strive for 2 meals filled with a 1/2 plate of vegetables each day.  This solves MULTIPLE problems.  It keeps me from overeating especially processed foods, reduces my sugar cravings, keeps me on track with the 80/20 plan, and makes me FEEL better and more energized throughout the day.  

 

We're going to add one more thing on this week to help you build awareness with food and how it affects us in MORE than just weight.  

SUGAR!  Sugar is NOT bad!  Let's talk about added sugar vs. natural sugar. Once you understand the difference between natural sugars versus added sugars, this challenge will be a piece of cake (pun intended).

Natural sugar is naturally sweet foods like fruits, dairy, and sweet tasting vegetables (sweet potatoes).  You don’t need to count these foods into the sugar shakedown!  Your body still needs sugar in order to function and by focusing on natural sugar, it will help to stay within a healthy zone of glucose.  Glucose is our body’s preferred form of energy!  Later in the week, I’ll be sharing some recipes for treats that only use natural sugar to help curb your sweet tooth.

Added sugar is just as it sounds...sugar that has been added to food to make it sweet.  This is where many of us get into trouble, especially if you’re not paying attention to the ingredients in food and of the amount you’re taking in on a daily basis.   Overconsumption of added sugars creates inflammation and fat stores because our bodies have nowhere to put the extras if it’s not being utilized as energy.  

Most processed food will have added sugar already in it which is why I’m a proponent for making your own food as much as possible because you can control the amount of sugar consumed.  Adding creamer into your coffee, flavored yogurts, bread, jams, energy drinks....are all examples of foods with added sugar.  Check out the table below for all the names of sugar you’ll find in nutritional labels....

Take a screen shot or save a picture of this chart for your cheat sheet!  

Here’s your ONE rule for this ONE week challenge.  

For this week, Limit your daily added sugar intake to no more than 10 grams....we'll increase to the max of 25g as we go along.    

 

(5 grams = approx. 1 teaspoon)

FAQ’s

This yogurt says it has 7 grams of sugar, but none of the names for added sugar is listed in the ingredients.  Is that added sugar? 

 

NO!  If it’s not listed, you’re in the clear.  If it is, then yes...it counts as added sugar.  As of 2019, the FDA passed a law that requires food companies to label added sugars and grams within nutrition labels.  If that’s the case, you’ll only count the added sugars, and not total sugar.  Not all companies have made the switch so you will still need to keep an eye out. 

What about alcohol?

 

Wine and beer contain small amounts of carbohydrates while hard liquor such as vodka, gin, and rum do not contain any.  With hard liquor, it’s what you mix it with that will up your sugar intake.  

WITH THAT SAID!...Whenever you consume alcohol, your liver makes that it’s first priority to metabolize before proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.  As soon as alcohol is consumed, 20% of it makes it to your brain in under a minute while the other 80% goes through the liver, ready to be filtered out through the bladder.  So although alcohol doesn’t digest as a sugar, it prevents your body from being able to utilize protein, carbohydrates, and fat for energy so the excess is sent to fat stores causing weight gain.  

Although alcohol doesn’t contain added sugar, I challenge you to take a break from the booze as well to help your body reset.   As you go through the week, it might get worse before it gets better depending on how much sugar you’re used to consuming.  If you experience any headaches and/or fatigue, hang in there!  It will pass after 3 days at most. 

ARE YOU READY TO FEEL LIKE A SUPER HERO?! 
Are you ready to feel more energized? 
 
Are you ready to feel lighter?  

 

LET'S GO!

Free saturday
sweat sesh

Join me and my fellow fit chick, @cbfit_okc to start your weekend off on a great note. 

All are welcome!

  • Where?  Stars and Stripes Park, OKC

  • When?  9am (45 minute class)

New to
Evolve on demand

Strength Train express:

30-40 minute strength training sessions designed for a simple 6 week program

Subscribe &
Receive Updates

© 2020 by Evolve Fitness LLC.  Proudly created with Wix.com